Thursday, September 16, 2010

Please, if I may...

I hate talking politics, but due to recent events and living in Quebec, you sometimes have no choice. If there's one thing that unites all Quebecers, it is The Montreal Canadiens.So why do some politicians find it necessary to try to make a mockery of the one thing we all have in common.

I would love to have more local boys on our team. To have our very own 21st century version of the great Jean Beliveau or Guy Lafleur, but it hasn't happened yet. We tried to get Daniel Briere and Vinny Lecavalier, but they didn't want to come here. These little details get forgotten.

I now sit here, wondering what is acceptable for the Pauline Marois's of the world? Does Benoit Pouliot fit her description of what the Habs should be? After all, we all are perfectly made aware that he's a Franco-Ontarian. Hypothetically, if I had a brother,let's name him Nick Papachristopopoulos, born and raised in Quebec and fluently bilingual....would HE fit her profile?

I think not.

So, if I may, why do those who have the same beliefs as the Marois's of the world, think it is ok to be openly prejudiced about people's ethnicity and language? Why do they think it is acceptable to do so? Why am I not considered a "Quebecoise" when I was born and raised in Montreal? Are they so insecure about their culture, that they think it's appropriate and acceptable to express discontent with everything and anything that is not French?

So, can't we all just enjoy each others company when it comes to the one thing that we do adore? The one thing that brings us together, The Montreal Canadiens!

Please leave politics out of sports.

12 comments:

  1. It has been that way forever. I no longer live there and I do not miss that kind of crap. I moved from there 25 years ago. A lot of people think the Nordiques would be great as a rivalry but for me a nightmare. I have blocked some twitterers(twittees?) because it brings back all the emotions and real hatred and I do not like feeling that way. Okay....my rant is done lol...I agree with you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Cathy! I cheer for the team and players, not where they are from or what language they speak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments guys :) I just don't see why they bring politics into sports. I love the Habs, period. I want to see a good winning team on the ice, irregardless of ethnicity, race etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said, only in Quebec. We always have to be different here. Sadly. If the team was constantly losing, id understand, but we went to the ECF last season, go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for reading and the comment. Politics has no business in sports. IMO. We have a good team, why start stupidities when unwarranted. it boggles my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All teams have to get the best players they can obtain no matter what their mother tongue is or languages they can speak, and where they come from. Its not like 30 years ago when 90% of the players where from Canada and the HABS due to Sam Pollack got before the draft started to choose 2 French players due to Quebec.
    Get a life PQ politics and hockey aren't the same thing at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome.
    I do also have a rant against the Bell Center buts that for another day

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think maybe once, someone at RDS referred to Roberto Luongo as "un Quebecois" but only because it was convenient for that specific moment.
    It made me angry, actually! He's Italian, he's one of my people, and if he's Quebecois then there should be no lines drawn anywhere.

    and...
    "Are they so insecure about their culture, that they think it's appropriate and acceptable to express discontent with everything and anything that is not French?"
    Unfortunately, I think so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They referred to him as "Quebecois"? WOW, i'm shocked. I just hate the fact that they are including the team in their politics. it's wrong on so many levels. grr

    ReplyDelete
  10. Took the words right out of my mouth... The crest on the front is more important than the language of the name on the back. French is NOT a Hockey Skill, neither is politics... Hockey unites and I think that is why she has a bee in her Molson Ex.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was all bang-on right sister-in -law. I wish most people just understood that it takes a lot of "different " people in a society to make it work. I believe a hockey team is the same. Ethnicity should never matter. Skill and determination and of course talent matters. What the hell do politics have to do with sports.

    ReplyDelete